Who we are...
Blendable is a young, exciting, employee benefits and solutions provider. We have an innovative, non-traditional way of blending benefits to meet the unique needs of businesses and their employees.
Our Team is non-traditional too! We're generally a pretty easy-going - and mostly fun - bunch of people to work with. So if you're awesome, we'd like to talk to you!
Who we're seeking...
We're looking for one full time Accounting Technician to join our small but eager Accountaholics Team. The chosen candidate will have best friends named Debit and Credit and will be an exceedingly detail-oriented individual. With an optimum mix of education and experience, our newest Accountaholic will have developed a combination of solid technical competency and top-notch analytical capacity. This is an ideal position for someone that is ready to climb the next rung on the career ladder, but is still happiest getting their hands dirty with journal entries and reconciliations.
What you'll do now...
- Maintain and reconcile multiple bank accounts (and credit cards)
- Process and submit the daily claims reimbursement and plan billing files (ACH Payments) as well as the monthly advisor and partner payments
- Complete GL account reconciliations and ensure intercompany accounts are balanced each month
- Prepare and post manual journal entries for month-end in the accounting system (Xero) for 4 closely related organizations
- Work with the Plan Changes and Claims Reimbursements team on any adjustments or errors
- Administer account receivable and accounts payable functions (includes manual chqs, bill payments, posting transactions in Xero, etc.)
- Liaise when necessary with our Nuts & Bolts Team to ensure administrative commitments are met and compliance requirements are fulfilled (insurance, registration, recurring subscriptions, etc.)
- Work together with the entire Team on a day to day basis, and be up for taking on additional tasks and responsibilities as needed to support the Team
What you'll build towards...
- Work closely with the Controller on the improvement and implementation of internal controls and accounting policies
- Take on more progressive accounting tasks and increased responsibilities as the company continues to grow
- Budgeting and financial reporting
- Payroll processing and tax remittances
- Make recommendations to improve and simplify accounting processes
- Work with the Development Team to continue to integrate accounting functions into our custom software and help to build automation logic
What you should bring to the party...
- Post-secondary education in the field of accounting or finance is strongly preferred
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a similar role with full cycle Accounting experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- An ability to communicate the complexities of accounting in a simple way
- A whole lot of comfort working with online apps and tools
- An intense desire to learn - because you'll do a lot of that!
- Flexibility to turn on a dime when priorities change
- Great time management and problem-solving skills
- Be dependable, self-motivated and goal-oriented (and if you can be all three at the same time, it means you're an amazing multi-tasker too!)
- A keenness to continue your professional development journey
- A desire to make a real contribution to a young, constantly growing and changing company - and a willingness to learn and grow right along with us
- Willingness to work from home in your jammies (this is a permanent remote work from home position)
- Sense of humour (maintaining our unstodgy, super-convivial and somewhat bizarre culture is important, so this is required attribute - number nerds can be fun too!)
What we'll bring...
- Competitive salary - $44,000 to $48,000 firm
- Mentorship in the accounting field
- Unique benefits package
- Work at home opportunity with flexible schedule
- Advancement opportunities based on performance and value of contributions made
Your working environment...
- Our team has no geographic limits; we simply want the best from anywhere in Canada so this is a work-from-home opportunity
- You'll primarily motivate yourself in your home environment and have a set of tools to combat social isolation in a healthy way
- You'll utilize your own internet connection and computer resources (no-interest loans payable via payroll deductions may be available for system upgrades for the right person)
- You can set your own schedule based on your personal and/or family needs and your commitment to us of average weekly hours
- You will work collaboratively with a (very!) diverse Team based in various locations utilizing online communication tools - or carrier pigeon when digital means fail (we haven't seen those guys in a while and we're getting worried about them)
- You'll have regular opportunities to meet digitally with Team members across the country for training, workflow development and collaboration events (and social ones when we need a break - some of us do enjoy our grape-infused beverages!)
- You'll use a variety of custom and web-based software tools to perform the required work - they're not easy yet but we're working on that!
How to apply... (follow these steps to be considered)
Well, we'd like to see your résumé, 'cause that's what you're supposed to do when you're hiring.
Mostly, we'd like you to tell us in a Cover Letter and a short video why you'd like to work with us, why you think you'd be a good fit for us, and why we would be a good fit for you. You'll earn extra brownie points for creativity and bad dad jokes or puns!
Confess your obsession with numbers by emailing email@example.com with 'I'm an Accountaholic' in the subject line including your cover letter, video link, and résumé!